DRAFT Minutes:


January  15, 2013


The meeting place was Independence Library Conference Room and was called to order at 7:05 pm by Danny Jaffer, Acting Chair. Others present were Mark Mathews, PCOPA; Al & Margaret Cleveland, EAA; Mathew Maas, ODA; and Andy Andersen, OFF.


Who Does What & When on the agenda was discussed as follows:

Motion was made for Danny Jaffer to be Chair for the 20th Annual Pilot Memorial Planning Committee. Motion was seconded and passed unanimous. Robert English was not present but the consensus was to ask him to be Recording Secretary as he has survived in the past. Andy said he would continue as Recording Secretary, if no one else volunteered. Danny Jaffer agreed to be MC as he had served last year.


The agenda for this 1st Planning Meeting was accepted as suggested in the meeting announcement.


1)      Mathew Maas said permission to hold the 20th Annual Pilot Memorial Tribute at 7S5 should be requested by letter or e-mail to ODA. Danny said he would write the request and would include use of the Beacon Tower for the Flag Ceremony.

2)      Danny said he would also ask Mitch Swecker, Director of ODA, to request OANG Flyover of F-15s at beginning of Flag Ceremony on May 27th to open the Pilot Memorial Tribute.

3)      Discussion of the Program began with suggestion plans be made to include both antique aircraft and automobile display in the event. Al Cleveland will help in parking the aircraft on the ramp and will explore possibility of an antique car show, using grassy area behind seating for the Flag Ceremony.

4)      Andy will contact Harvey James to request participation of AMVETS to lower the flags to half-staff and raise them to full staff, while Steven Springer leads in singing the National Anthem. Danny will contact Steven Springer to lead singing and also request use of his PA equipment for the rest of the event.

5)      Al Cleveland will contact the local Boy Scout Troup to participate in Flag Salute.

6)      Danny will contact Representative Vicki Berger or Senator Jackie Winters to provide the “Welcome”.

7)      Andy reported Rev. Michael Parks said he would provide the Invocation as last year if the Planning Committee requested. The Committee was unanimous in that request.

8)      Retired Navy Pilot, Paul Huggins, and member of the Oregon Aviation Board will be asked to provide the Tribute to Pilots. Mathew Maas agreed to be on standby if Huggins is not available.

9)      Debra Plymate, President of Pines Chapter 99s, will be asked to provide the Pilot Memorial Wreath and  Capt. Paul Gilman will be asked to provide CAP Cadets to place the wreath.

10)  Presentation of USA Memorial Flags. Danny will contact Congrasman Kurt Schrader to provide USA Flags that have flown over the U.S. Capital for families of the deceased men pilots being honored. 17 have been identified so far. Engraved vases have been provided to families of deceased lady pilots but none have been identified yet this year.

11)  Andy will ask Bob Zafran, Flight Reserve Association (FRA) to make the presentation of the flags to families as before. CAP Cadets may also help.

12)  Recognition of Veterans present. Steven Springer will be asked to lead the playing of a Medley of Military Music and each Veteran present will stand as the song of his branch of service is played.   

13)  S/Sgt. Dannielle Ritacco will be asked to play TAPS as she has in the past.

14)  Missing Man Formation. Dennis Krummel and Denny Jackson have been leaders for this Fly-By of Airpark Vans RV Pilots and will be contacted to lead again this year.

15)  Ron Hanna will be asked to monitor 7S5 radio frequency 122.975 mg for safety during the Pilot Memorial Tribute. Page 1 of 2


16)  Lynn McDonald will be asked to Lead Fly-By of various aircraft: Warbirds, helicopters, powered gliders, home built, light sport, ultralight classic & antique aircraft.

17)  Mandatory Pilot Briefing for all pilots in fly-bys is required, conducted by Dave Martin on café porch at 10 am.

18)  Mark Matthews stated the PCOPA will plan the Community Picnic Lunch from 11:30 am to 1 pm, to be held in Nutsch Aviation Hangar. Planning Committee requested budget from proceeds  be used to buy an Oregon Flag to be use for Pilot Memorial Tribute and for the Memorial Flag pole in front of the café for the rest of the year.

19)  Request is needed for US Coast Guard and/or OANG helicopter fly-by, static display and a Rescue Demonstration at 1 pm. Danny will ask the OANG in Salem.

20)  Signs and barricades will be asked to be placed by EAA & PCOPA on Monday morning. Tables and chairs to be moved from EAA hangar to Nutsch’s hangar for Community Picnic and chairs to area near the temporary flag pole at the beacon tower.  Use of EAA Hangar has been requested for flag ceremony if it rains.

21)  ODA has installed pulley and halyard on airport beacon tower and has been maintained by Dave Martin

22)  Ceremonial flags to be raised at 8 am Monday on beacon tower and Café flag pole by Al Cleveland.

23)  A volunteer is needed to develop an easel display of pictures and names of those from his area, who were Killed in Action or Missing in Action, to be built for display in Nutsch’s Hangar during Community Picnic Lunch.

24)  Andy will contact Marquis Spa for use of their parking lot on Memorial Day and will ask Nutsch Aviation and Independence 1st Baptist Church for use of Shuttle Busses with drivers, to shuttle from parking lot to airport and return from 9 am to 2 pm.

25)  Cities of Independence and Monmouth and Polk County Commission needs to be contacted to request “Proclamation” to encourage attendance. Andy will ask.

26)  Andy will ask Farnstrom Mortuary to print 400 Programs with deceased pilot list for insert. Lois Martin will be asked to design masters for Program and Posters, also to be printed by Ben Farnstrom .

27)  It was suggested Open House displays be encouraged in the EAA Hangar and Nutsch Aviation Hangar to promote Aviation and for Pilot Memorials.

28)  Restrooms are available in FBO, Nutsch Aviation, and EAA hangars. FBO will be asked to provide Handicap Portable Restroom between two sheds at gas pumps.

29)  Volunteer is needed to write news articles for local Newspapers and organization newsletters.

30)  Jerry Pryce and Doug Davis were suggested as Safety Officers.


Meeting was adjourned at 8:30 pm with suggestion next Planning Meetings be held on second Wednesday of February, March and April at 7 pm in Independence Library. Planning Committee members are encouraged to let Andy know if the 2nd Wednesdays at 7 pm is ok.


Submitted by Andy Andersen, Acing Recording Secretary,